Thursday, September 20, 2007

Yikes!
An entire summer of reading has passed...
Obviously, I have been reading so many books there hasn't been time to tell you what I've been reading.
Beach books (frothy and light) were consumed over sand and under sun.
Fantasy books were read at night while the crickets chirped and the stream gurgled.
Morning was the time to catch up on new magazines and newspapers.
Mysteries were just right for those rainy afternoons (that were cool enough for a blanket).



I did not read many books that were good for me.
Autumn is a different tale...



I'm reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini for an upcoming book group (Thursday, October 11 5:30 at the Waterville Library!!). Set in modern Afghanistan, this novel is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I can't wait to talk about it with others!



"Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. I'm a quarter of the way through this nonfiction work, and it seriously makes me want to be a better person and do more for the world. I hope I can do a fraction of what Mortenson has accomplished (and continues to accomplish).




I eagerly awaited the publishing of "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer. This is the third of the Twilight Saga, and it was just as yummy as the first two novels.




I'm a BIG fan of the Teen Fantasy genre. "Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer" by Laini Taylor did not disappoint. I read most of this on an airplane. The flight was much too short to finish the novel, and I fought with my sister (who was traveling with me) when we landed about who was driving home (so the other could read in the car).



"Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians" With a title like that, how could I NOT read this book! Brandon Sanderson's clever, witty, funny book tells of a world in which librarians really just the source of all evil in the world. I loved it!




I'm now digging into Robin McKinley's new title, "Dragonhaven." She's been a favorite author of mine since I was eleven. While nothing has ever quite matched "The Hero and the Crown," I continue to hope.



I'm heading out to take advantage of the comfy new chairs in the Bartlett Reading Room...

Recommendations of new "must read" titles would be appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home