Wednesday, September 13, 2006

There are lots and lots of firsts in parenthood. One of the best firsts is the first time your child hears a new story. The following are some stories that evoke looks of delight and wonder in the face of my son, Jack (age 4).

"Danny and the Dinosaur" by Syd Hoff. A delightful and timeless early reader from the 1950's, this book is a charming story of a boy who meets a dinosaur in a museum and the day they spend together. Memorable lines include "This is the most fun I've had in a hundred million years."


"Charlie Parker Played BeBop" by Chris Raschka. This was always one of my storytime favorites, and reading it one on one with a child is a total trip. My husband (who plays the drums) loves the lyrical rhythm of reading this story aloud.


"In the Night Kitchen" by Maurice Sendak. Sendak is a master at combining words with illustrations just so. This is my favorite of his stories, as well as being one of Jack's all-time favs. We both appreciate the opportunities for yelling certain lines out loud ("Quiet down there!!").


"My Father's Dragon" by Ruth Stiles Gannett. This is a super first read-aloud for young listeners. I appreciate the author's use of lollipops, hair ribbons and the quiet teaching about the importance of picking up after oneself (especially tangerine peels).

I could go on and on...(but verbose librarians can get tedious...) If you're looking for something new, also check out our Children's Room page for suggestions, or try http://planetesme.blogspot.com/ (Esme Raji Codell's fantastic-fabulous blog... Esme is the author of "How to Get Your Child to Love Reading" and one of my favorite books for older elementary age readers - "Sahara Special.")

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Ah, I love children's books. Some of my faves from my childhood are Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant and the Max books by Rosemary Wells.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home