Thursday, May 11, 2006

There are so many great things about living in Central Maine that when a not-so-great thing comes up, it's always rather surprising. One of the not-so-great things that I've encountered recently are the frogs (sorry if that grammar isn't correct). I really had forgotten (after time spent living away) how on those misty spring evenings all country roads in Maine become infested with frogs of all sizes. I remember in high school making my at-the-time boyfriend drive s-l-o-w-l-y lest he run over too many frogs without giving them a fair shot at getting to the other side quickly. I hate driving on those nights. I always feel like a frog killer, which, in fact, I am. I am resolved to use my local library (aha!) to investigate what makes the frogs hop and hop and stop and hop across my roads. Another instance of a library being just what one needs...

4 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I saw a few frogs hopping across my road the other night as well!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger bookfreak said...

There needs to be some massive folk ballad about those frogs... or a documentary narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger bookfreak said...

Before the hoopla over "Snakes on a Plane," there was the terror of "Frogs," that 1972 classic. I caught it once on the old "Creature Double Feature" one Saturday in the 80's... Joan Van Ark, Sam Elliot, and Ray Milland star..

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger appyfan said...

Amen, to the frog killer comment. It happened to me just last night (9/5). Luckily it was a quiet country road and I managed a decent job of stunt driving and I think most (if not all) will live to croak :-) another day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home